Sharon's Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

FTP's

As part of my web design course at TAFE this year I have been asked to comment on a couple of different FTP clients. So, here goes.

My favourite FTP client is Filezilla which can be downloaded from the following site http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

It also comes in a portable version which can be downloaded from http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/filezilla_portable

Below is a screen shot of the program;


Installation was a breeze and the program is easy to use (must be if I can) and it's free which is definitely a big drawcard. The only thing I had to change was the mode setting to 'use active mode'. Filezilla works with the following operating systems: 32-bit MS Windows (NT/2000/XP), Win2K, WinXP


The other FTP client I downloaded was CoffeeCup Free FTP 3.0 which can be downloaded from www.tucows.com/preview/195147

Below is a screen shot of the program:



As the title suggests, the program is free. By upgrading (purchasing) CoffeeCup Direct FTP it is also possible to obtain extra features such as the ability to drag and drop files to the bottom of the screen to edit or preview them.

Installation is easy and there is a step by step wizard to help create a new connection.

The program works with Windows 98/NT//2K/ME/XP

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • ah Sharon, great post - just the right amount of information i thought. Which client did you prefer though? Do you use one of these all the time now, or is there another client you're keeping a secret?

    I'd love to see your '10 things' list linked to from here too - pop it into a post and I'll drop by to do some constructive critisism...

    By Blogger Unknown, At 8:40 PM  

  • My favourite FTP client is FileZilla as I use it almost exclusively. However, I have just discovered FireFTP. FireFTP is a free FTP client which is an add-on extension for Firefox, and which appears to work very effectively and easily (at least in the short trial period I have used it).

    By Blogger SammyLover, At 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home